Wednesday, August 1, 2012

3 weeks old

In just three short weeks, we have a pen full of adorable playful  puppies.  In the evenings, I enjoy sitting in the pen, cuddling puppies and watching some of the Olympics.  All the pups are over 4 lbs, and Olympia is currently the big pup at 4 lbs 6 oz.   Flame, the smallest pup at birth and the recipient of numerous private nursing sessions, is the second biggest pup at 4 lbs 3 oz.  Currently, the smallest pup is Summer at 4 lbs 1 oz.  I have bumped out the puppy pen to 3/4 full size and it is filled with a variety of toys.  I have added a low water bowl for the pups to experiment with.  Just today, I started leaving a radio on, tuned to NPR, to provide the pups with some additional background noises during the day while I am at work.  This evening, I changed out the litter box and it had been well used.  I have seen multiple pups make the march down to the litter box to take care of business.  The pups had been looking over the half gate and I suspected someone would soon be crawling over, so I had set up a crash pad on the opposite side.  Soon after I got home from work today, Bridget was standing outside the half gate, tempting the pups, and sure enough, London and Butterfly climbed over the gate and headed for the milk bar.  So I had to swap out the low half gate for one that is higher.  The pups are relishing a tablespoon of canned food 3 times a day, and just tonight, I introduced them to soaked kibble, just 4 kibbles each to get them used to prehending kibble and digesting the new food item.  No complaints so far.  Over the next few days, I will gradually transition them from canned food to soaked kibble.  I have goat milk thawing so they will soon be dining on kibble and milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment